Monday, December 17, 2007
When one door closes...After some thought I have firmly shut and locked the door on an activity that consumed much of my time. It is simply no longer pleasurable. This gives me time to work on a project that I have been thinking about for some time. I am looking forward to the long, quiet period that follows the holidays so that I can get started on it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
So are you going to tell us what activity you have curtailed? Do we have to guess? Is there a prize for guessing correctly?
Cooking? Computer Solitaire? Reality television? Watching your neighbors with a telescope?
C'mon!!!! You can't just throw something like that out there and leave us hanging!
Interesting, you and others ask only about what I'm leaving behind not about what I'm going forward to do. No one says, gee Mom, what exciting new thing are you planning? Can I offer any advice? Is there anything I can do to help?
Anne's class is studying writing papers. We spend alot of our time helping her edit her stories. If she had written that paragraph I would tell her that the subject of the paragraph is what is being left behind.
Perhaps if you rewrote your paragraph so that it leads off with your excitement about the new venture you're undertaking it would bring your audience into your desired mindframe?
On a related note, want to know what I'm most excited about in the coming year? We got Anne a writers handbook for Christmas and I really need to begin using it. She wants to work her way through college as a librarian and then get a job as a book editor. She has more of her grandmother in her than we thought!
Remind Anne that the editors are frustrated writers and the only way to become a writer is to write- preferably to your grandmother.
The subject of is the idea (concept) of moving on, of living an examined life. The "mindframe" I was hoping for from the reader was one of support and happiness at my ability to let go of a no longer pleasurable habit and move forward to a new activity. What I am leaving behind, gentle reader, be it my daily bottle of vodka or... is unimportant
What a wonderful time of year to reassess how we want to use our time! I applaud you! Best wishes towards your new project! I love the lull after the first of the year to regroup and recuperate!
Here's to open doors...
If closing one door was causative for the thoughtful piece on children's television and clever funny board book schtick on Moby Dick, it was well closed. Hoping this portends more writing, hence good reading, in the new year.
Good luck and have fun--can't wait to see what's next.
Ever an admirer, I am
sincerely yours,
a. muse. erato
Post a Comment