Monday, February 18, 2008

RAVELRY
To be A-Ravelry-er you must B-Ravelry invited and then you can C-Ravelry members' pages and all D-Ravelry mysteries R-Ravelry revealed to you. I haven't put much on my Ravelry space. I have even avoided exploring the site, the whole thing is just too intimidating. First off there's the "Friends" thing. You "Friend" people and then they "Friend" you and their avatar appears on your "Friends" page. And then everyone can look and see how many, or how few, "Friends" you have. It gives me flashbacks to Jr. Hi, when my "Friends" see I'm not popular will they still want to be my "Friends"? Some of my "Friends" are very popular, does that make me their charity case? Insecurities that I haven't thought about for decades have been popping up. Even the word "popular"- I haven't used that, much less thought it, since my children were in High School and I can't remember the last time I thought about it reference to myself. And then there's the list-keeping. The thought of revealing to total strangers, or even my closest friends, how many pairs of #3 needles I own, how much yarn owns me, how many ideas I have that come to naught, how many UFO's hang, albatross-like, around my neck, ugh. In addition, Ravelry has brought my tendency toward voyeurism, something I've tried to suppress. I can explore my "Friends" queues of future and finished projects and by clicking on my "Friends" "Friends" I can peek at theirs and then the "Friends" of the "Friends" of my "Friends" and so on ad infinitum. I have been surfing from my "Friends" to their "Friends" to the "Friends" of the "Friends" of my "Friends" etc and I'm wondering; how many degrees of separation are there on Ravelry? Is the number dependent on how many "Friends" one has or is it some statistical thing that is the same for everyone?

8 comments:

Sonya said...

Is it possible that you may be overthinking this? ;o) Or perhaps it's that I'm underthinking it.

A. Warped, knitter said...

Or I could be paranoid or insecure or both. Any thoughts on the degree of separation thing?

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. I was never 'popular' but I really am not 'popular' now on Ravelry. It can suck you in and the next thing you know it is 4 hours later than you first thought. Time I could have been knitting. I know what you mean by this degree of separation. Apparently the world of knitting is very small and we are all just a few degrees separated. If is not our needles, then it is the yarn or maybe the patterns or the websites we go to or ..... Kathy

cbknits said...

For me it was just a time suck at the beginning. Now I glance at it, maybe make a few comments or visit the forums.

What I like best is putting in my stash and finding out what others are making with that yarn. Gives you some good (and bad) ideas

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on making my knitting life public.
I did catalog my needles because I really needed to do that for myself. The rest, no.
What's on my queue or my UFO's are just not something I want to open to the world. I do enjoy looking at what people have made.
As to the "Friend" thing, I'm not sure I get the point.

technikat

Anonymous said...

Maybe that is the one (and only?) advantage of being blog-free AND being on Ravelry - a blog-free person would be able to have "Friends" on Ravelry.

I agree with you about not exploring the site, although intimidating is not the word I'd use. Time wasting I'd say. It would just take away too much of the time I have for knit blog surfing. And knit blog surfing already takes too much time away from actual knitting.

As for cataloging patterns - doesn't everyone have little folders in their Favourites that are specific as to pattern type? I have a folder called knit sweaters; another called knit socks; another for knit Barbie (doll); and one for knit how-to's, as well as knit ASAP, etc. etc. etc..
And what is Ravelry except for another place to go surfing?

I haven't yet cataloged my needles - although it might be a very good idea to know how many are hiding from me at any given moment. But unless the cataloging came with a detector, they would remain as "lost" as they are right now.

Neither is my roomful of yarn cataloged. I just do not have the time to do it - with or without Ravelry to record it in.

Happy knitting - with or without Ravelry,
Janey
janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca

bittenbyknittin said...

I joined Ravelry and tried to be a good Raveler, but I'd rather be knitting or blogging. If my work place did not block Flickr, I might cruise through Ravelry on my lunch hour... or not, because usually I am knitting then. ;-)

Anonymous said...

IndigAngel, here- ACK! Now I feel badly because it took me so long to "friend" you back. :) I know what you mean about revealing too much here...I look at the people that have actual, real pictures of themselves as ravatars and think "yikes, it's bad enough that people know what my knitting looks like. Do they really need to know what I look like?"
The degree of seperation thing is interesting. If I chose a random raveler and traced her/him until I found a connection would that be too much like stalking?