Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tofu Tee

Started 1 September 2008-
Finished 3 October 2008
I altered the pattern to make it long sleeved. Because I don’t like to sew up seams I made the first side seam by using the invisible cast-on and then knitting out from both sides and the second by just kitchnering. I have done this before on baby sweaters and gotten a ventilation hole where the curve of the armhole meets the straight line of the side seam so this time I knit a nine stitch, 18 row gusset to transition between the sleeve and the underarm seam. I like the effect and it solves the problem. Because I am pear shaped I added some short rows (50 stitches from the bottom, 6 in the front and 7-8 in the back) so that it fit comfortably around butt and belly. I changed color just above the bottom ribbing so that my bottom edge would be neat and tidy. I worked a lapped neckline- just ‘cause I like the look of one. I kept the strands from twisting around one another as I knit- if they lay side-by-side the fabric has a nice lofty feel. These were, IMHO, good decisions. I also changed the color rotation- not such a good decision but I know that color is my weak area so I should have known better.
I love wearing this sweater, it feels so wonderful. One thing I hadn't thought of- washing. I've never had any problem washing Tofutsies socks- never noticed that the yarn bled. When I washed this I ended up with pink underwear. The sweater weighs about 560 grams- equal to about 5-6 pairs of socks and, to be honest, I've never washed 5-6 pairs of new socks for the first time at once.

3 comments:

Sonya said...

Turned out beautifully! Looks very comfy too. Are you planning to go to knitting Friday? I'm thinking I may be able to get there this coming week.

Anonymous said...

This pic looks sexual...Delete my post if you wish, but I thought I'd let ya know.

A. Warped, knitter said...

I agree with you. In fact, as I put it up I had a brief fantasy of myself as the Georgia O'Keefe of knitting.