This is the Brangian Shawl from Yarnosophy which I started as an antidote to the acres of garter stitch I'm knitting in the Zeroth Shawls. The yarn is Interlacements Michigan from Knitting Today. I wish I had taken a photo of the yarn in the skein, it read very dark and I thought it would knit up dark with just occasional flashes of color. Instead it is much brighter than I had imagined. Still, once the pattern gets down into the lace I really like the way the colors pool. Which is the best one can hope for as handpainted yarn in stockinette, especially in this case where the stitches increase in every row, is often a hit or miss affair. Also, I find that knitters are far more pickey about this kind of thing than the non-knitters to whom we gift our knitting. I would be finished with this shawl by now had I not repeated section two twice. Now I have to frog back. Ah well, I'll find out how this yarn knits up after frogging. This is the first pattern I've tried from Yarnosophy. It comes with extras I haven't seen with other patterns. Besides instructions for adding beads there is a progressive yarn usage chart (just in case you're unsure how far your yarn will last), and, in addition to charts, uncharts. I'm comfortable with charts but tried the uncharts just to see how they worked. The uncharts are easy to follow, in my opinion,for whatever it's worth, and it ain't worth much since, as I said, I am comfortable with charts. I'd be more interested in hearing what a non-chart person thinks of them.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
This is the Brangian Shawl from Yarnosophy which I started as an antidote to the acres of garter stitch I'm knitting in the Zeroth Shawls. The yarn is Interlacements Michigan from Knitting Today. I wish I had taken a photo of the yarn in the skein, it read very dark and I thought it would knit up dark with just occasional flashes of color. Instead it is much brighter than I had imagined. Still, once the pattern gets down into the lace I really like the way the colors pool. Which is the best one can hope for as handpainted yarn in stockinette, especially in this case where the stitches increase in every row, is often a hit or miss affair. Also, I find that knitters are far more pickey about this kind of thing than the non-knitters to whom we gift our knitting. I would be finished with this shawl by now had I not repeated section two twice. Now I have to frog back. Ah well, I'll find out how this yarn knits up after frogging. This is the first pattern I've tried from Yarnosophy. It comes with extras I haven't seen with other patterns. Besides instructions for adding beads there is a progressive yarn usage chart (just in case you're unsure how far your yarn will last), and, in addition to charts, uncharts. I'm comfortable with charts but tried the uncharts just to see how they worked. The uncharts are easy to follow, in my opinion,for whatever it's worth, and it ain't worth much since, as I said, I am comfortable with charts. I'd be more interested in hearing what a non-chart person thinks of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love the color of the yarn it reminds me of a Monet painting. You are doing a lovely job.
Have a wonderful day,
Meredith
Post a Comment