The greens of the yarn are a perfect compliment to the leaf motif in the shawl. I'm surprised how fast this is knitting up. The pattern is alternate rows of purl and a ten-stitch pattern, an easy rhythm in which to fall. There is too much blue in the photograph- I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow in natural light.
Reading: "Invisible Threads in Knitting" by Annemor Sundbo. Two years ago, when Sue and I went to Vesterheim for textile workshops, Annemor Sundbo gave the keynote talk (on "Spirit and Symbol" if I remember correctly- Sue and I had gone only for the workshops and had been unable to stay for the conference)at the textile conference. We got to see the Norwegian language edition of this book and I have been waiting for the English edition ever since. The pictures are wonderful. There is one section on the symbols used in Norwegian textiles; some patterns for small projects; a bit of history and she brings us up to date on her own work. In the chapter on "Power and Magic in Folk Beliefs" she gives a pattern for "Troll" and "Hulder" (troll women) which I think will be perfect as little decorations on Christmas gifts
2 comments:
That yarn and pattern are perfect together. I'm looking forward to next weekend!
That's a lovely shawl in the making!
Tkat
Post a Comment