Wednesday, August 08, 2007

beach knitting
I had been thinking for a while about getting out the spinning wheel and plying two strands of leftover sock yarn together to knit hats for "Caps For Kids". Then Deni mentioned seeing a sweater that a man had knit out of two strands of sock yarn just held together and that sounded much easier. These hats were knit on #5 needles using two strands of solid color for the ribbing and one strand of solid and one of patterned yarn for the body. I prefer to knit in the round with double point needles but I was concerned about losing needles at the beach so I took a long circular needle and knit these in the "magic loop" technique. I've become quite proficient at "magic loop" but I still prefer double points. I do like the "marled" look of the colors.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty clever idea for using up that huge sock yarn stash that we all seem to have! Nice hats!

Sonya said...

You aren't going to have an ounce of sock yarn left in your house! Hey, look at me: commenting on a blog when I should be working. Oh no! ;o)

A. Warped, knitter said...

Don't I wish! I keep finding odds and ends of Noro and I thought I'd gotten rid of the last of that months ago. Besides, I keep buying sock yarn. Lea-Anne had some new sock yarn today (at least it looked new to me but then, I've reached the age where I can see something for the first time two or three times).