Sunday, February 28, 2010


Thanks to Olympic Curling I have the fronts finished up to the shoulders and the back about 3 inches above the armhole decreases. There is a small error in one of the two-stitch cables. From the placement I figure it was made while watching the women's figure skating finals; it is the same error I made while watching the men's figure skating finals. When I found the first error I raveled the two offending stitches down and re-knit them but this time I didn't notice the mistake for more than a pattern repeat so I'm just going to leave it. A reminder that figure skating is much more engaging than curling.

I have taken a break from re-reading the complete works of Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö to read the new Henning Mankell, "The Man From Beijing". After the short, tightly plotted Sjöwall/Wahlöö books, the Mankell seems loose and wandering. It certainly could have benefited from a firm editor with a big blue pencil. I first read the Sjöwall/Wahlöö books in the 60's but their socialist leanings seem more obvious to me now then they did then. Perhaps because I am reading Mankell just after so much Sjöwall/Wahlöö his political/social message seems more strident in this book than in his other writings. Still, it is a good choice for long, snowy winter afternoons. Also, I find that when I "read" by listening while I knit I am more tolerant of over long books.
Does one "read" audio books? The aural engages a different part of the brain than the visual, doesn't it?

1 comment:

bittenbyknittin said...

Oh, yeah, audio books and knitting go great together. I prefer some non-fiction on tape/cd because if I try to read them, my eyes glaze over whereas I can pay attention while listening and knitting. I "read" Animal, Vegetable, Miracle this way, plus the Golden Compass series, although usually I prefer to read fiction myself. Love, love, LOVE your sweater! The colorway works great with the pattern.