When we built this house our goal was not to build the biggest house we could afford but to build the smallest house in which we felt we could live comfortably. Some people had a hard time grasping this idea. They kept suggesting that we could make this bigger or add on that. A while ago someone asked if we would build it the same way if we could build it over and my answer was no, I'd make it smaller. Stuff expands to fill the space allotted for it. The cynical side of me says that going smaller is making a virtue of necessity. The 60's side of me says that the less you have the more free you are. The fed up with housework side says there are more interesting things to do so let's clear the stuff out so I can clean this house in an hour a week.
Our family's recent experience with job loss and homelessness have caused me to reflect a bit more on the concept of less is more. I am amazed at how little is enough. And also at how many friends reach out to help. And how many there are out there.
And, hopefully, next week I'll have the energy to clean out the closet and take another load of books down to the used bookstore.
1 comment:
I'm with you - smaller is better. People used to raise whole families in a house the size of mine, and now it is considered a "starter home". With my kids grown, it is more than I need and I plan to downsize.
Post a Comment