Wednesday, October 20, 2010

O.K., it's official. I 'fess up. I want to be Kalinda. When I first started watching "The Good Wife" I couldn't decide between being Alicia, the mother with a career, or Diane, the career woman. Then I realized that my mother wanted me to be Alicia and the 15 year old who lives inside me rebelled against all things Alicia (this is not my mother's fantasy) so then it was Diane by default. But now...Kalinda most surely. In high school Diane and Alicia sat in the front of the class. They always knew the correct answer and each raised her hand to give it. They worked hard to get all A's in the academic subjects and if they went to an Ursuline school they got all A's on the right hand side of the report card, too, the side where the grades for character development were posted ("refinement in manner and taste"). Kalinda sat in the back of the classroom. Her parents were always told that she was not working up to her abilities. She did just enough to get by. She mostly watched and listened. She would have been the queen of the chess club but it would have meant sitting still for hours- something she didn't like doing. She might have been Angie in "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid" the young crone who dispensed wisdom from her temple under the bleachers.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

I want to be Kalinda too! I'd have to grow a few inches just to pull off the boots though.