It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas or the advantage of not planning ahead
Earlier in the week we journeyed over to Middlebury to buy fruitcakes from Fruitcakes by Deb. I planned to buy quite a few and thought about calling a day or two ahead to be certain she had them on hand. But what with this'n'that and one thing and another I never got around to calling so we just started out- early, of course, as I did remember that she closes after lunch. I told them what I wanted and they were packing it up for me when Deb came out of the kitchen with a slightly distressed look on her face. She said that she was short two chocolate fruitcakes, well, she had them but... Don't worry I told her, I'm sending most of them so taking them frozen is no problem. Oh no! she said, they're not frozen. Just the opposite in fact, they were hot, just out of the oven. I was happy to take them so Deb packed the cakes in a bakery box and gave us the ribbons and stickers and plastic wrap so we could wrap them up all pretty and sent us off with warnings that when hot the cakes could break easily. And we drove back home through the lightly falling snow in a car filled with the smell of hot chocolate cake. It was wonderful, all the moreso as I doubt it will ever work out that way again.
1 comment:
Sounds and smells lovely. I bet it was hard not to bite right into that cake!
Have a wonderful weekend,
Meredith
Post a Comment