Wednesday, February 02, 2011

It's February! And once again it's time for Finished in February, an almost annual attempt to clear out my works in progress. This year FiF has been expanded to include Frogged in February, an admission that there are some projects that should never be finished and broadened to encompass Flung in February in recognition of the fact that knitting ain't the only thing piling up in the house and if I'm going to clear it out I might as well do it all. Plus, this year, for the first time FiF will include weaving! I got off to a fast start yesterday by frogging two first socks thus setting free 6 size one and a half double pointed needles and two lovely skeins of sock yarn. I'm sure the excitement will mount as the month moves on and the stack of finished objects grows and the needles are liberated and the stash grows and the baskets of UFOs are emptied and I struggle to remember where in the pattern I was when I put it down (or, in the case of the weaving, got up from the loom). It is fortunate that February is the shortest month, I'm not sure how long I can sustain this level of excitement.

The Foundling Museum in London has the largest collection in the world of fabric from the clothing of everyday, ordinary 18th century people. These pieces are currently on display in an exhibit called Threads of Feeling and the stories of how the museum acquired these fabrics is very moving. Austen Only and Kathryn Hughes at the Guardian help to put the material in context.

Thanks to all who took the time to write about my Tuckernuck Cardigan, double thanks for not pointing out that I put the buttons on the wrong side. I noticed it while packing the sweater up to send to my granddaughter but by then I had let go of it and was able to take the attitude that, on occasion, we should encourage children to do things differently such as button sweaters left over right instead of right over left as it stretches their minds. Also, isn't that whole thing about buttons on the left for girls and on the right for boys a bit sexist?

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I hope you are having fun frogging those projects. I actually like frogging a whole project that has been lingering in my unfinished bin, makes me think about a new project for the yarn and all the possibilites out there. I loved the links in your post today, so interesting, I did not know that young wmothers left bits of fabric and little trinkets with their babies. So sad all those babies were left.

Have a wonderful day,
Meredith