The holes in this screen were repaired with beading wire, beads and some solar active color changing thread. I wove right on the screen, very awkward and since the materials I used were very fine it was a very long tedious process. Next time I'll weave patches on my little peg loom and stitch them over the hole as you would patch any screen hole. It is impossible to take a picture of a window screen, much less one that shows the color changing thread changing color but here's the finished product.
When I googled "Baltimore painted screens" to try to find some pictures/information so non-Baltimorians would know what I was talking about I was pleasantly surprised to find a lot of info and pictures of the screens. Baltimore has a "Painted Screen Tour" and there are a number of artists who still paint screens. How nice to know that this folk art is still valued and that others are carrying it on.
No comments:
Post a Comment