Monday, December 12, 2011


So, on Saturday we braved the cold and ventured down to Ft. Wayne to tour Brookside on the campus of the University of St. Francis. It was a great day. Lots of sun, a lite brunch before the tour and a visit to Hyde Bros. Books after. The tour guides were very pleasant, hovering just enough to be certain that you missed nothing and to promptly answer questions but not so closely that one felt hurried along. The rooms and the many murals are beautifully restored and the house was decorated for the season (more nativity sets than I could count). One of the other people on the tour was a man who analyzed the paint chips for the restoration and it was interesting to hear him tell about that process. Up in the third floor ballroom there was period music. A dulcimer player and a psaltery player. This was the first time I'd heard a psaltery, a very lovely haunting sound. The Fort Wayne Public TV station has has a couple of programs about the restoration of Brookside so it was especially nice to see it in person.
Above: a mosaic in front of one of the 2nd floor fireplaces; below, one of the nymphs in the mural of the rotunda.


I haven't been doing much knitting lately. I did finish the Fall/Winter Shawl that I started back in October. The directions were confusing at first but got more understandable as I knit on. It isn't blocked but I'm counting this finished.


This hat was a quick knit on #11 needles. I like the look of the yarn (Mountain Fusion Teton). I don't enjoy knitting at that gauge, altho', this time it was a nice change from sock yarn on #000 needles.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

I love the colors on the shawl, mom! It looks magnificent.