Friday, January 13, 2012

A Very Major Christmas



This year the Grand Pooh Bah received a Major Award. Actually, as it is only about four inches tall it might be more correctly called a Minor Major Award, but, as we all know, size doesn't matter and it is the thought that counts. It does light up but being only 4 inches tall if he does decide to put it in the window I am confident that it will not be visible from the road.




I, on the other hand, got a major disappointment. The above are called "Orange Slices". I had noticed that this candy was for sale again and seeing it brought back childhood memories. When you bite into one the sugar coating fills your mouth with sweetness, then as the gelatinous inner part melts your mouth is filled with intense orange flavor. At least that's how I remembered it and that's why I asked for a bag for Christmas. Big mistake. When I bit into one of the alleged orange slices I got the big sugar rush but no intense orange flavor. Not even a tiny orange flavor. Just a flavorless, gelatinous blob with no taste. I thought I'd gotten a bad one so had another. Then decided that, perhaps, my sense of taste had gone so urged others to try one. But no, no big orange taste just large disappointment. Was childhood not as I remember it? Am I just not old enough to be a child again? Was the intense orange flavor that I think I remember one of those additives that the FDA has banned? I rather like this idea; it means that I can blame the loss of my childhood memory on the government, always a handy scapegoat.

I want to thank Mitt Romney for allowing me to start my day with a laugh. Apparently Mitt, threatened by John Huntsman's ability to speak Mandarin, demonstrated his ability to speak French. Unless he wants to run for office in Canada I don't know why he thinks speaking French is a asset. Most of us would be more impressed by a fluency in Minnesotian (yup sure) or Southern (y'all) or, best of all to my mind, the form of Big Government spoken at Medicare. I'm afraid that this will backfire on Mitt, tho'. The French are notoriously critical of people who do not speak their language correctly and even I could tell that Mitt's accent was awful. Anyway, why are the candidates wasting their time proving what we already know, that politicians are very good at bickering amongst themselves? Why not prove that they can work together by joining forces and ousting Newt Gingrich?


Traveling knitting



Just before leaving for Christmas I saw this great dishtowel in bittenbyknittin's projects over on Ravelry. The pattern is Gridded Kitchen Towel by Susan Luni and is free over on Ravelry. I had packed some worsted weight cottons to knit dishcloths (my usual traveling knitting) but quickly printed off the directions for the towels. It is, to my mind, a perfect traveling knit and was a nice change from dishcloths. The towel is a nice size, 17" X 26" after washing and very absorbent. Bittenbyknittin has some other suggestions over on her blog: Bitten by Knittin'...: Gridlock

2 comments:

bittenbyknittin said...

Congrats to the Grand Pooh Bah! The award is almost as good as a pink flamingo. Re childhood taste memories, I too have been disappointed by foods I loved as a kid but now cannot stand. Girl Scout cookies come to mind. Re the election, the 'Pubs are providing much entertainment these days, but it is going to be a long year. Thanks for the shout out - your towel looks great!

Lea-Ann said...

Its been a while since I've been on the blog scene. The Orange Slice reigns! Cynthia H. brought in surgary candy from a nephew's fundraiser. I can't keep my hands off it. The lime rings and the orange slices. Yum! Does not do well with the Weight watchers points though.

I must look over your ravelry projects. There are several that look fantastic that I would like to put in my "faves".