There are process people and there are product people. Product people have no UFOs. Product people know, before they start what they are going to do with the finished product. They follow the directions to the letter. Years ago a local quilt shop made a successful business by teaching only product oriented classes to product people. They taught Log Cabin tote bag and a Log Cabin pillow. In the next cycle of classes they taught Flying Geese tote bag and a Flying Geese pillow. The same people showed up to take the classes every time. They were product people and they didn't seem to get that the "tote bag" part of the class was the same whether you put it with the Flying Geese or the Log Cabin. There are a lot of product people out there and I've noticed that the most successful shops teach to them.
Process people have lots of UFOs. They are intrigued by how something is done. They rarely follow the pattern precisely, they keep wondering what would happen if you changed this or that. They don't stop to think that they live in Florida and there isn't a great need for Tavistickking mittens. In the long run, it doesn't really matter because half way through the first one they begin to wonder if you could do this instead of that or how it would look with two colors or even three so the second mitten never does get done.
In the past I have tried various strategies to change myself from a process person to a product person, to no avail. This month my goal is a little different: I am going to work on being a process person whose process is finishing things. I'm not going to start anything new this month, knitting or weaving, and will post on my progress a couple of times a week. Yes, it is significant that this is the shortest month of the year.
4 comments:
I have pondered this same thing for a long time now, and I have noticed that even representations favor product people - the magazines show finished pieces instead of people knitting. We have more photographs of process from places that were not as industrialized as the U.S. - like the old photos of Shetland knitters, etc. And in the U.S., there seems to be a correlation between the printing of knitting patterns with the mass production of knitting pin and yarn. It's all a capitalistic plot :-) Sorry, didn't mean to give you a history lecture there, but did I mention I've been thinking about this for a long time?
You can't imagine how much it amuses me that you have built an entire philosophy/life statement out of what most would call an inability to complete tasks. But I must say - you've got me convinced! Kudos, Mom, on creating a worldview which highlights your strengths and diminishes any (not that I'm saying there are any) weaknesses!
In the meantime I'm singing your praises because I'm living in the socks you sent me a few years ago. In below zero weather even bedtime is socktime.
Eric's mom gave me a pair she knit last year. I think they may have been one of her first attempts at socks because she warned me that they wouldn't be as good as yours. At first I didn't notice a difference but after a few hours they start to move around uncomfortably. The fit just isn't quite right. It really is a skill, isn't it?
-Veronica
How nicely put. It certainly makes me feel better about all my UFOs.
I used to think I was a product knitter, but after I gave away the giant Spring Forward sweater with nary a whimper, I began to think I might be a process knitter. And if we judge just by the number of UFOs floating around, well then, definitely process.
Post a Comment