Tuesday, September 04, 2007

sorrowful sox situation I measured my foot and figured all of Cat Bordhi's master numbers. I checked my gauge. I knit my sock up to the heel and tried it on. It did not fit as close as I like so I ripped it out back to the start of the Coriolis band. I re-knit it with a K1,P1 rib above the Coriolis band to draw it in more snugly. I knit the heel. I tried it on again. It's still too loose around and it's too long(my big toe is just below the second from the top grey band). The yarn is Fortissima Colori Disco, the kind with the metallic thread running through it. I love the way it looks, the yarn, the band, the rib; but it's too big. I re-checked my measurements and my gauge and they are right. Cat does warn that you can get the same gauge across but a different one up and down so I guess that's why it's too long. I adjusted the master numbers downward and restarted with a different yarn, I want to use this sock to help judge how much smaller to go. If you decide to knit ribbing above the band, switch back to plain knit a row or two before before starting the heel. When you knit ribbing to the back of the heel it makes bulky looking gathers.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Nothing worse than loose socks! It's going to be a very cool sock once the sizing is right.